Terms & Conditions
Art Prints & Posters
Dessau, Meisterhäuser / Photo
Dessau, Saxony-Anhalt, Germay.
Meisterhaus Feininger, Ebertallee 63
(built 1926–28; architect: Walter Gropius).
House Klee / Kandinsky seen from the north.
Add to cart
Add to lightbox
Add all to lightbox
Remove all from lightbox
Masters' Houses Dessau
In 1925, the Bauhaus relocated from Weimar to Dessau. During negotiations with the city of Dessau, the Bauhaus's director Walter Gropius was assigned commissions for the construction of a school building, as well as three semi-detached houses and a detached house for the Bauhaus masters.
Since the majority of Weimar masters followed Gropius to Dessau, the so-called "Masters' Houses" soon became Modernity's most important artists’ colony. Five of the seven Masters' Houses remain to this day: The Kandinsky/Klee House, the Muche/Schlemmer House and the Feininger House. Both the Moholy-Nagy House and the Gropius House have since been destroyed.
The Bauhaus building and the Masters’ Houses have been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1996.