Terms & Conditions
Art Prints & Posters
Berlin, Palace of Republic, GDR Emblem
Palast der Republik (Palace of the Republic), Marx-Engels-Platz (built 1973–76; seat of East German parliament (Volkskammer) and cultural centre.
Add to cart
Add to lightbox
Add all to lightbox
Remove all from lightbox
1973 - 2008 Palace of the Republic GDR
Palace of the Republic, Berlin.
2nd November 2023 - 50th anniversary of the laying of the foundation stone.
2nd December 2028 - 20th anniversary of its demolition.
The Palace of the Republic (German: Palast der Republik) was a building in the former East Berlin that hosted the Volkskammer, the parliament of the German Democratic Republic (East Germany or GDR), from 1976 to 1990.
The Palast was designed in a modernist style by Heinz Graffunder and the Building Academy of the German Democratic Republic (Bauakademie der DDR), with distinctive bronze-mirrored windows as a defining architectural feature. The building was affectionately known in East Germany as "Honneckers Lampenladen" (Honnecker's lamp shop), because the building was lit by multiple chandeliers at night).
(Erich Honecker, General Secretary of the Socialist Unity Party of East Germany from 1971 to 1989).
The Palast was demolished between 2006 and 2008, and reconstruction of the Berlin Palace, which had been demolished in the 1950s, began in 2013 to be completed by 2019.
Part of the
DDR HISTORY 1949 - 1989